Leadership Means Coaching Your People To Succeed
Coaching employees to develop their maximum potential requires you to think about your role as a leader somewhat differently. When you set out to coach someone, keep in mind these unique principles of coaching that apply in business, sports, and life in general:
- People know more then they’re aware of.
- Everyone possesses the resources needed to enrich his or her own performance.
- Questions generate better results than orders.
- Everyone should be held responsible for his or her own contribution to the group.
- Mistakes and failures are learning opportunities in disguise.
- People need to try things experimentally before buying into a new way of thinking.
- The best way to help people improve is to offer them challenging but realistic goals to strive toward.